Date of event: Sun 06th Dec 2020
Level of event: Local (D)
Nearest town: Aberystwyth
Our last event for 2020 will be held at Penglais Woods on the 6th December. The area covers a small compact woodland with lots of interesting features and intricate detail.
Guidance as to how to download and use the Usyligo App can be found by clicking onto the following link https://www.mid-wales-orienteers.org.uk/info/vocs
The event will be uploaded onto the Usynligo website on Saturday afternoon.
Important update regarding the recording of results
- From previous events it was noticed that competitors had not checked their app when reaching a control to see whether it had registered. In windy conditions some times it is hard to hear the sound that the app makes when registering a control, so it is always worth a few seconds just to check your phone to see the control has registered before moving off to the next control. There is nothing more annoying when reaching the finish to find you did not get a finish time because you had missed a control. On rare occasions it can take a few seconds for the control to register depending on the prevailing atmospheric conditions.
- Also could you please make sure when you load the app on to your phone that you give your name and club, quite a few results have been recorded as unknown. When you first register your phone with an email address and password your next screen takes you to entering your name and club, this process must be completed along with you giving permission for your results to be published by sending them by email to Terry Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Because some event areas do not have very good mobile phone signals you may have to wait until you get home before you are able to post your results. Further details are available on your website as to how you can do this, which can be found under this link https://www.mid-wales-orienteers.org.uk/info/vocs.
Some further important points:-
- Entries only through Fabian4 and will be limited to 29, no entries on the day.
- Waterproof maps will be provided on the day to all competitors who have entered, you will also be able to see the same map on your smartphone if you prefer to use this.
- Time slots will be allocated when you enter, please keep to these as we are trying to keep social distancing.
- The only Club official available on the day will be the Planner Robert Griffiths. To avoid physical contact, maps will laid out in marked plastic trays, which Robert will point you to. Please keep the social distancing of 2 meter at all times.
- Unfortunately the software does not provide at present the ability to record results to a database, which an Organiser can access to publish the results on to their website. But you will be able to view your results on your app against the other competitors running your course by clicking on results tab on your UsynligO App after everyone has finished. Until the software is updated with this feature we are currently using another method to collate the results as explained above in note 2.
- You will need to change your smartphone settings under display & brightness sub heading sleep to never sleep.
- Allow UsynligO App to access your location at all times.
- In the App settings set your control radius to 15 meters and minimum GPS accuracy to 100 meters
COVID-19 pandemic, please note the following
Please remember to stay safe and to stay within the governments guidelines on social distancing.
We hope that you enjoy the event, but please be mindful of your own health and others, we ask that you will:
- Heed the current government restrictions for example if you have a pre-existing medical condition
- Keep yourself safe, but also be aware and keep any members of the general public safe, so hand washing is important and do consider this as technical training not a race - always give people you encounter 2 meters of space - if you need to divert or stop and wait, please do so
- Support the government’s efforts to manage the infection. Consider any journey carefully, avoid public transport and don't undertake excessive travel
- If you have any questions regarding the use of the software, which has not already been covered please let me know and I will try to answer them. You can contact me by email - email@example.com
- Nearest town: Aberystwyth
- Grid Ref: SN 592820
- Latitude: 52.41810
- Longitude: -4.07244
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
- Planner: Robert Griffiths
- Organiser: Robert Griffiths
Info for dog owners
Dogs must be kept under control and on a lead.
No facilities on site nearest will be in Aberystwyth town
Please note: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Posted by Terry Smith