Gilwern Hill (VO) 2020
Date of event: Sun 20th Sep 2020
Level of event: Local (D)
Nearest town: Llandrindod Wells
Please note this event is a virtual orienteering (VO) event to be held at Gilwern Hill on Sunday 20th September 2020. Different from normal orienteering the event will be held using virtual controls and not the normal Si electronic units with kites and dibbers.
Our next club event will be the first to be held since March and because of the current Covid-19 regulations will be run as a virtual orienteering event. Hence you will need a smartphone with an App called UsynligO, which can be dowloaded from the internet using either of these links https://apps.apple.com/us/app/usynligo/id1306699569
Gilwern Hill is situated above Howey and Hundred House and covers an area of common land which includes a number of hills with areas of marsh land, bracken and crags. The area is completed fenced off with a road running through the centre. Please do not cross any fences or gates and take care crossing the road. Signs will be erected to warn cars of the event but you will still need to look both ways before crossing the road.
Instructions as to how to use this App can be found by clicking here.
Some important points:-
- Entries only through Fabian4 and will be limited to 29, no entries on the day.
- Waterproof maps will be provided on the day to all competitors who have entered, you will also be able to see the same map on your smartphone if you prefer to use this.
- Time slots will be allocated when you enter, please keep to these as we are trying to keep social distancing.
- The only Club official available on the day will be the Organiser and Planner Terry Smith. To avoid physical contact, maps will laid out in marked plastic trays, which Terry will point you to. Please keep the social distancing of 2 meter at all times.
- Unfortunately the software does not allow the central recording of results but you will be able to view your results against the other competitors running your course by clicking on results tab on your UsynligO App after everyone has finished.
- You will need to change your smartphone settings under display & brightness sub heading sleep to never sleep.
- Allow UsynligO App to access your location at all times.
- In the App settings set your control radius to 15 meters and minimum GPS accuracy to 100 meters
COVID-19 pandemic, please note the following
Please remember to stay safe and to stay within the governments guidelines on social distancing.
We hope that you enjoy the event, but please be mindful of your own health and others, we ask that you will:
- Heed the current government restrictions for example if you have a pre-existing medical condition
- Keep yourself safe, but also be aware and keep any members of the general public safe, so hand washing is important and do consider this as technical training not a race - always give people you encounter 2 meters of space - if you need to divert or stop and wait, please do so
- Support the government’s efforts to manage the infection. Consider any journey carefully, avoid public transport and don't undertake excessive travel
If you have any questions regarding the use of the software, which has not already been covered please let me know and I will try to answer them. You can contact me by email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nearest town: Llandrindod Wells
- Grid Ref: SO 079568
- Postcode: LD1 5PA
- Latitude: 52.20274
- Longitude: -3.34796
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
- Planner: Terry Smith
- Organiser: Terry Smith
Info for dog owners
All dogs must be strictly kept under control and on a lead as there are sheep grazing on the common land.
No facilities available on site nearest would be in Builth Wells at the Gro carpark.
About the area/map
Please note: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Posted by Terry Smith