Date of event: Sun 04th Oct 2020
Level of event: Local (D)
Nearest town: Borth
Have you all missed orienteering over recent months? Would you welcome a chance to reintroduce yourself to the sport in a safe way? Then come along to our next club event which will be run on Sunday 4 October, Ynyslas dunes, Borth, Aberystwyth using virtual orienteering courses (VOCs).
VOCs works by replacing the normal kites and electronic units with virtual control points accessed by an App called UsynligO, which operates on a smartphone and can be downloaded from the following link:
We have produced an instruction sheet on how to use the App, which can be found by clicking here.
A great excuse to have your mobile phone with you, whilst you are enjoying the fantastic environment at Ynyslas!
Are you up to the navigation challenge? A great path network and fantastic contour detail showing the shapes of the dunes with open sand areas marked. Fantastic views from the highest dunes along the coast and over the Dyfi estuary if you take the time to look.
Some important points:-
- You will need to pre-enter this event using Fabian4 http://www.fabian4.co.uk/default.aspx?EventID=2677 Entries will be limited to 30 and there is no entry on the day.
- Waterproof maps will be provided on the day to all competitors who have entered. You will also be able to see the same map on your smartphone, if you prefer to use this option
- Time slots will be allocated when you enter, please keep to these for social distancing reasons
- The only Club officials available on the day will be the Organiser and Planner Clive and Joe Thomas. To avoid physical contact, maps will be laid out in marked plastic trays, which we will point you to.
- You will be able to view your results against the other competitors running your course, by clicking on results tab on your UsynligO App after everyone has finished
- You will need to change your smartphone settings under display & brightness sub heading to the ‘never sleep’ or equivalent option
- Allow UsynligO App to access your location at all times
- In the App settings set your control radius to 15 metres and minimum GPS accuracy to 100 metres
If you have any questions regarding the use of the software, which has not already been covered, please contact Terry Smith on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nearest town: Borth
- Grid Ref: SN606925
- Latitude: 52.52791
- Longitude: -4.05084
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
- Planner: Joe Thomas
- Organiser: Joe Thomas & Clive Thomas
Info for dog owners
All dogs must be strictly kept under control
Portaloos available at the visitor centre
Please note: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Posted by Terry Smith