Aberedw Rocks VO Event 2021
Date of event: Sat 22nd May 2021
Level of event: Local (D)
Nearest town: Builth Wells
Our next event will be a VO event at Aberedw Rocks.
Please note the change of date, this event will now be held on Saturday 22nd May not Sunday 23rd as previously advertised.
The location of the event will be Aberedw Rocks (grid ref. SO 082446), which is situated between Builth Wells and Erwood. This is an area situated on a hill side, which runs south to north, mainly open terrain with numerous crags some very large. There are quite a few pathways, which act as good line features providing the Orienteer the ability to relocate (establish where they are on the map).
Because of the current Covid-19 regulations this event will be run as a virtual orienteering event. Hence you will need a smartphone with an App called UsynligO, which can be dowloaded from the internet using either of these links https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/usynligo/id1306699569
Instructions as to how to use this App can be found by clicking here.
Some important points:-
- Entries only through Fabian4 and will be limited to 29, no entries on the day.
- Waterproof maps will be provided on the day to all competitors who have entered, you will also be able to see the same map on your smartphone if you prefer to use this.
- Time slots will be allocated when you enter, please keep to these as we are trying to keep social distancing.
- The only Club official available on the day will be the Organiser and Planner Terry Smith. To avoid physical contact, maps will laid out in marked plastic trays, which Terry will point you to. Please keep the social distancing of 2 meter at all times.
- Unfortunately the software does not allow the central recording of results but you will be able to view your results against the other competitors running your course by clicking on results tab on your UsynligO App after everyone has finished.
- You will need to change your smartphone settings under display & brightness sub heading sleep to never sleep.
- Allow UsynligO App to access your location at all times.
- In the App settings set your control radius to 15 meters and minimum GPS accuracy to 100 meters
COVID-19 pandemic, please note the following
Please remember to stay safe and to stay within the governments guidelines on social distancing.
We hope that you enjoy the event, but please be mindful of your own health and others, we ask that you will:
- Heed the current government restrictions for example if you have a pre-existing medical condition
- Keep yourself safe, but also be aware and keep any members of the general public safe, so hand washing is important and do consider this as technical training not a race - always give people you encounter 2 meters of space - if you need to divert or stop and wait, please do so
- Support the government’s efforts to manage the infection.
- If you have any questions regarding the use of the software, which has not already been covered please let me know and I will try to answer them. You can contact me by email -
Location & Directions
Travelling from the south head for Erwood on the A470, as you pass through Erwood look for a turning on your right, which is signposted Aberedw and Painscastle, this takes you across the river Wye. Follow the road, which takes you under an old railway bridge and then keep left on the B4567 heading for the village of Aberedw. Travel a further kilometre until you reach a small turning on your right before the cattle grid, this will be signposted with an orienteering sign. The assembly area is 200m on your left.
Travelling from the north you need to pass through Builth Wells taking the A470 heading for Brecon. About 10kms along the A470 just before entering Erwood look for a turning on your left signposted Aberedw and Painscastle, which crosses the river Wye. Then follow the directions as given above if you were travelling from the south.
There are four courses available:-
Yellow - 2.0km and a climb of 50m
Orange - 3.1km and a climb of 105m
L.Green - 3.3km and a climb of 125m
Blue - 5.4km and a climb of 205m
Start times are from 10.30 to 1.00pm, course closes at 2.30pm
All entries will be via Fabian4 only, you can enter by clicking on this link Fabian4, no entries on the day.
Entry fees all set to £4 whether you are a junior, senior or non club runner. Families can enter as a group but if they want more than one map they will have to state so when entering, there will be an extra fee of 50p per map.
Please note closing date is on 20th May
Planner: Terry Smith
Organiser: Terry Smith
Info for dog owners
Dogs permitted but must be kept on a lead
There are no facilities available, the nearest are at Builth Wells.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
About the area/map
Please note: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Posted by Terry Smith